Once children at our school progress through the Read Write Inc programme for phonics and reading, they begin to use our Accelerated Reader system for daily reading in school and at home.
What is Accelerated Reader?
Accelerated Reader is a computer program that helps teachers manage and monitor children’s independent reading practice. Your child picks a book at his own level (based upon their results of the Star Reading Test) and reads it at their own pace. When finished, your child takes a short quiz on the computer. Passing the quiz is an indication that your child understood what was read.
Text-based approach to learning in English
Our text-based approach to writing and reading - Please click here.
Lexia Core 5
This year children will be using Lexia® Core5® Reading, a fun computer-based program that has helped millions of students.
The activities in Core5 support and build on our classroom curriculum and focus on developing reading skills in six areas: phonological awareness, phonics, structural analysis, fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension. Here’s how Lexia Core5 Reading works:
● Children begin Core5 at a starting point that fits his or her needs and works in online activities throughout the week.
● Online activities include direct instruction and feedback as your child learns new skills.
● Progress and performance in the program is reported so teachers can provide help when needed.
● Paper-and-pencil activities are also used for practice and may be done in school or brought home.
● Achievement certificates may be sent home to celebrate success and to show progress in the program.